Fancy Cats Rescue Team is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. (United Way #98772)
The Fancy Cats Rescue Team is a passionate leader in the animal rescue community with over 20 years experience. Founded in August 1997 by Cathy Awad, Fancy Cats now has three PetSmart Adoption Centers and +70 volunteers.
Our organization is known for responsiveness to our donors, adopters, volunteers, and the public.
On average, Fancy Cats helps +1,000 cats each year. Since our inception in 1997, we have found loving homes for +15,000 cats. We often tell people we are the largest cat-centric rescue in the state. You can our check our numbers against any rescue or shelter at the Virginia Department of Agriculture and and Consumer Services Animal Reporting Website where all rescues are required to report information each year.
As much as we wish could help every Feline, we are limited by our resources. As such, Fancy Cats' safety net for felines consists of the following:
- We rescue cats on death row in local shelters.
- We partner with other organizations to facilitate cat rescue.
- We take owner-released cats as space permits.
- Before acceptance, the owner-released cat must arrive with all medical work done (including sterilization, FeLV/FIV test, rabies and distemper shots that are current).
- We also require a tax deductible donation in the amount of our choosing, depending on the cat's age and general health.
- Before deciding to give up your feline, please visit our rehoming knowledgebase.
- We take strays as space permits.
- We are unable accept feral (wild) cats.
- We are unable to trap cats.